British sneaker brand Hi-Tec is wildly popular these days and their designs are often seen on the streets. The brand is known for its modern and sporty designs, each supported by a sturdy outsole. The British brand was founded in 1974 by a Dutchman.
Read more about the brand's history and check out its most popular sneaker silhouettes here.
History of Hi-Tec
In 1974, Dutchman Frank van Wezel came up with the idea for a new trainer. The businessman designed his first squash shoe, a lightweight silhouette with modern adaptations. Shortly after his first design, the businessman came up with the Sierra boot, the first 'lightweight' outdoor boot. After the success of the Sierra boot, things went fast for the brand with the release of the running shoe Silver Shadow in 1981.
Frank's love of sport is something that is clearly reflected in Hi-Tec's collection. In the 1990s, the brand finds itself in hiking territory. The Altitude IV silhouette became wildly popular in no time. The shoe was also the favourite of mountaineer Adrian Crane, who climbed the highest peaks of all 50 US states in 101 days.
The brand also finds its purpose in sports such as tennis, football and running. Its innovative and lightweight designs quickly went global and were seen at various championships and games. Even Nelson Mandela was seen wearing the brand's trainers.
The brand was founded in England but still has its roots in the Netherlands. Since 2011, it has been headquartered in the Netherlands and Frank's baton was passed on to his son, Ed van Wezel.
Performance in sports
Hi-Tec's models are therefore very popular in the sports world. Since its founding in 1974, there have been some achievements at sports level that have meant a lot to the brand. From designing the lightest hiking boot to the recent HTS Shadow model - these are some highlights of the British brand's history.
- 1974 - The first Hi-Tec trainer appears on the market, a model specifically for the sport of squash.
- 1978 - Hi-Tec comes out with the Sierra boot, the lightest outdoor shoe designed at the time.
- 1981 - The Silver Shadow is the most worn trainer during the London Marathon (23%).
- 1992 - Hi-Tec is establishing itself in the world of football. In the first season of the English Premiership football league, the Kings Cup was the best-selling football shoes.
- 1995 -Hi-Tec tennis shoes are recognised as the official shoes of the Wimbledon Tennis Championship.
- 2007 -Golfer Padraig Harrington wins 3 major championships with Hi-Tec's technologically advanced CDT golf shoe.
- 2013 - Hi-Tec wins Footwear Product of the Year at the Great Outdoors Awards with the introduction of the 'Zuuk', a lightweight multi-sport shoe.
- 2015 - Hi-Tec-sponsored athlete and three-time world squash champion Nick Matthews is officially awarded his Order of the British Empire (OBE) by Her Royal Highness Princess Anne.
- 2017 - The brand launches its premium HTS74 line.
Despite being very popular in the sports world, Hi-Tec sneakers are also very popular as lifestyle sneakers these days. The HTS Shadow in particular, with its chunky silhouette, is a very popular trainer among many. Check out some trend colorways of the model below.
Should you want to read more items like this, check out our news page.
To this, you can easily check out the various colorways of the sneakers in the Sneakerjagers release calendar.